11.6.13

Crazy for Salads!

Making time for a great Thyme Beet Tuna Salad was totally worth it because it barely took me any time! Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this play on words... But what I'm getting at, is that you can cook with very few ingredients to make something so healthy and tasty. However, you can't expect to have all these items handy, so I try to keep my fridge stocked with fruits and veggies at all times along with milk, eggs and certain necessary ingredients to make sure I can whip something up quickly.

THYME BEET TUNA SALAD

This creation started off with left overs of cracked wheat that I had made yesterday, along with beets which I boiled a few days ago and stored in my fridge for convenience. Having these types of items prepared in your fridge ahead of time really saves you time when you want to prepare a meal.

By adding cut up beets to my cracked wheat, I figured I needed to integrate some type of protein and decided to add a can of white tuna fish to do the trick. After combining these 3 ingredients, I felt like I needed some more veggies to complete this salad but I only had tomatoes and a red bell pepper left in my fridge. Of course, I was brave enough to just incorporate all of these together and turns out these flavours really compliment eachother. After a few bites, I wasn't 100% satisfied... I grabbed my jar of pickled turnips and threw in a few to give it a pickled taste, along with a touch of olive oil, rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and fresh herbs which consisted of parsley and thyme.

I took a bite and right there I knew these additional ingredients were necessary. I love salty and pickled flavours and this just did it for me. The beautiful bright pink colour of the beets just complete this refreshing extravagant salad. As always, this nutritious creation gives you your serving of grains, vegetables, fibre, protein, omega-3's and satisfaction!


..........................................................


Nutri-T's FAMOUS MANGO SALAD

On a rainy day, there's nothing that makes me happier then eating a nice warm chewy chocolate chip cookie, but can you imagine the amount of cookies I would have eaten for every day that rained last week?! I could never allow myself to do this, it's way too dangerous. You can't let days like these ruin your health... I figured why not make something as good, if not, more delicious and nutritious! Of course, my famous mango salad made me quite happy. A mango is an amazing fruit alone, but can be so versatile and be used in so many different dishes- in a smoothie, served as a chutney with chicken or pork, but certainly, my favourite way is integrating one in a salad. A nice ripe mango gives this salad a rich and sweet juicy flavour, pairing well with all the other fresh vegetables including the kale, asparagus, red peppers, tomatoes and white kidney beans. 

Ingredients:
1 mango
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper 
1-2 tomatoes
1/4 - 1/2 cup cucumbers
1/4- 1/2 cup asparagus
1 cup of kale
1 can of white kidney beans
Fresh parsley and cilantro
Feta cheese for garnish
Salt & Pepper
Dressing: Lemon juice, olive oil, splash of rice vinegar







No comments:

Post a Comment